9.14.2009

14.09.09

I was in Topshop the other day and it was like they were playing a shut yr face playlist. I was confused; they were playing the shop assistants! WHAA?! I hung around in the shop for about ten minutes more than I would have done had they not been playing trendy music, just because I was curious as to what the next song would be. I was almost inclined to dance, believing maybe Topshop is actually a club AND a shop, two birds with one stone?.
So following from the Shop assistants they played ‘You’ve got the love by the beautiful Florence, and they also played Zero by YYYs and they played some generic sounding screamy girl/boy indie pop London type band. Anyway, this casual wandering gave me time to reflect on ‘Topshop culture’. As I roamed aimlessly around it, smoking an imaginary pipe which is what I do when I try to appear thoughtful, it occurred to me how very unimpressed and out of touch I am with whatever ‘fashion’ is at the moment.
I think the fashion now is blazer, checked shirt and leggings.
I can’t seem to figure out what the inspiration is for current trends. There’s a lot of sparkly stuff going on, which is fine by me. I proper love sparkly stuff and yet I own very little of it. I think the sparkliest thing I own (not including my ‘solar system’ tights) would be some gold glittery jumpers which, according to my friend make me look‘festive’. I also own a pair of shiny, metallic leggings I only bought them in the off chance I want to dress up as Billy Corgan in the zero video when I am feeling down. They are shinier as oppose to sparkly two very different things I’ll have you know. Although sparkles shine yet shine does not necessarily sparkle. That quote right there is about as close to philosophical wisdom I will ever achieve. I have decided that my favourite clothing items involve neutral tones like grey, peach, white, black and brown. My favourite materials seem to be tweed and anything that is floral. I like peach lace and polka dots. And I especially like wearing hair bands and coloured tights and snug woolly jumpers. Basically anything I find in a charity shop....I don't really buy anything from vintage shops, regularly anyway, if there is something that particularly special that I fall in love in a vintage shop I’d be likely to buy it for a reasonable price but only as a one-off I wouldn’t rely on vintage shops for all my wadrobely goodness.

To be fair you have to be quite lucky to find a true gem in a charity shop, you’ve really got to hunt through the masses of primark castoffs.

However some of my best charity shop finds have been ever so impressive! My most recent being a tweed, old lady coat worthy of glamour nana status. It smells strongly of old lady, it even still had adorable hairpins in the pockets! I bought it for a mere 4 pounds. How wonderful for my bank balance. OH am I shallow for being so image obsessed sometimes, I’d hate to come across as vain and narcissistic.

Anyway Diary it is time for me to bid you farewell. Good night and sweet dreams.


* I just made the most appalling attempt to spell the word ‘necessary’ Microsoft spell checker didn’t even recognize it! Thanks dictionary dot com you have saved the day yet again!

No comments: